The Givati Brigade is under the Southern Command. Givati soldiers wear purple berets and black shoes, represented by a fox symbol. The same name was used for the IDF infantry brigade that fought in the War of Independence. The brigade is composed of three battalions, each made up of companies with designated purposes.
Givati soldiers were the first to use the Tar-21 Tavor assault rifle. Givati is the main infantry brigade stationed near the Gaza Strip. They are in charge of fighting terrorism in the area, along with other IDF forces. In January 2005, the Chief of Staff honored Givati’s reconnaissance battalion with a Medal of Distinguished Service for its work in Gaza.
As one of the first infantry brigades created with the establishment of Israel, the Givati Brigade, first led by Shimon Avidan, participated in many battles during the War of Independence. The brigade was dismantled in 1956, only to re-established as a reserves brigade. The regular service brigade was re-established in 1983 during the First Lebanon War. The brigade was stationed interchangeably at the Lebanon border and in the Gaza Strip. After the withdrawal from Lebanon in 2000, the brigade was declared part of the Southern Command and stationed in the Gaza Strip area. The brigade participated in many anti-terrorist operations. Since Israel’s disengagement from Gaza in August 2005, the brigade has been stationed near Gaza.